How much is too much?

Our second lab is a bit more complicated then the first; at least, the concepts are, if not the actual experimental protocol. I've spent a little bit of time pulling out my old college textbooks and reviewing enzyme catalysis; I'm sure glad I saved all of those! Now I am trying to prepare for class.

Last time I realized I didn't give enough of an introduction. I don't want to make that mistake twice. But, I also want to make things interesting and I feel that I could put some perspective onto the enzymes lab by using the basics of my own research as an example.

My question is this: is that a good idea? My sister, the elementary school teacher, tells me that real world perspective is always a good thing. I'm just not sure if I should use my own research as an example, even though it fits.

My plan, as of now, is to first Review last weeks lab and put in the context of their homework assignment, which was to read the section on experimental design. Then we'll start on the enzymes section; I'll give them a little Background, give them the Perspective, and then go over the Protocol for today. The protocol will be outlined as in the experimental design chapter. Then, to make sure cool jock in the front doesn't try to skip out early, I'm requiring them to present me with a draft of their protocols for next week's lab, the designing of which is part of this weeks in-lab assignment.

See, how nicely it all ties in together? See that I'm learning how to get them to all do their work? Yup. I'm patting myself on the back right now.

My only worry is that this is too much stuff to go over. Last week was too little; I don't want to move in the opposite direction.

Well, I'll never know until I try. And I can always modify as I go along.

0 comments: