Communication correlates with success.

It’s been a while since I posted because last week was spring break. Instead of taking the extra time to prepare for upcoming labs, write the next quiz, or grade the large pile of homework- and the mini lab reports- instead of being responsible and prepared, I let my book bag collect dust for two weeks.

That is not entirely true. I did carry it with me a lot. I just never opened it.

Last Monday, realizing that it was spring break, I took my book bag with the intention of spending the entire three hours working on class stuff; that lasted 30 minutes.

I needed the break.

Yesterday I went in early to meet with the coordinator; he was showing me how to use the gas analyzer. He showed me the gas analyzer; asked how things were going. Then he casually mentioned that the class hadn’t studied cellular respiration before and that I should give a good review about it to start. He highlighted the key concepts that he thought I should go over, and then left me to prepare. So I ran over to the cafeteria for a quick bite. Note to self, do not get tuna salad here anymore. As I sat there surrounded by bubbly college students, I was pleased. I thought, as I ate, how much better it is when you get a little guidance. I still had a little bit of preparation to do, but I felt confident in knowing exactly what was expected of me, and exactly what was expected of this week’s lab.

It was a nice feeling, for a change!

1 comments:

Lisa said...

First of all, you are DEFINITELY a teacher if you are letting your school bag collect dust! Isn't it amazing though, how only teaching one class, there is always *something* to do? And if you don't do it when you should, then you have to find the time elsewhere to get it done? Yeah.

Secondly, it's amazing that you are writing about communication.... this has been a HUGE issue in our district lately with too many higher ups not communicating with the teachers, changing the curriculum with what seems to be no clear plan or vision, making huge staffing decisions without thinking about the realities of the impact on the classroom....I'm glad you got to sit down and get some communication, but I hate to say it- don't expect it very often! Teaching is, more often than not, trial by fire.