What do you do when you know it is coming, but you don't want it to be so?

I just came back from a quick drive to RSU to retrieve some homework assignments that need to be graded by Monday. Normally the students hand them in to me during class but this week I did not see them.

Why did I not see them? I was faced with a real dilemma this past Monday. I had taken the day off to take care of my sick girls, both suffering from a stomach bug. Mid afternoon I noticed a queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach. "Nah, it's nothing. "I thought. "I'll be fine. Class is tonight, I'm ready to go, it will be a good lab." Three hours later at about the time I should have been jumping into the shower getting ready to to, I was instead hunched over the toilet trying not to throw up and trying to psych myself into being well enough to drive to class.

Mind over matter... mind over matter... uh, not.

The dilemma was... I hadn't actually thrown up yet. But every time I moved I felt a horrible roiling writhing pit of unease in my lower gut, and I knew that it was just a matter of time. So I called the coordinator to tell them that I was extremely sick. His response: "So, what you are telling me is that you are not coming?" I was feeling horribly guilty about this as it was. But, seeing as the smallest movement on my part inspired a huge need to vomit, cancelling class seemed the only option.

So I emailed the class and had them hand in their homework to my mailbox. At just about the time I would have been standing up in front of the class reviewing the days complicated lab exercise, the feeling turned into a reality. I spent most of the night within steps of the toilet. It wasn't pleasant, but it made me feel a little bit better about canceling class.

Today I went to retrieve the homework. Wimp that I am, I went when the office was closed so that I wouldn't have to bump into anyone.

Man, I hope they don't fire me.

1 comments:

Lisa said...

At least you didn't have to do sub plans. Sub plans are the WORST! Teachers always feel bad about missing class, but don't worry about it too much, you were genuninely sick and it is more important that you take care of you.... (I know I know, I need to take my own advice!) :)