Ambiguous instructions

OK. So here is the problem.

I am preparing my presentation for my interview on Monday. It is a small university. The application didn't even ask for a research statement, but a little birdy told me that they do want someone who will do research- with the undergraduates. I have to give what has been described as a "presentation to the undergraduates and some faculty".

I asked if it should be more on research or more of a lecture and the answer was "whatever you want."

I feel this is some kind of a test. I am trying to figure out what to do.

Of course the topic I picked is related to my research. The question is, how much research should I present? AAAGGHHH! At first I was going to just modify my last research in progress talk. It was 30 minutes, and I figured I'd add more intro to fit the 45 minute time frame. But then I realized that this was too much of an in progress thing and also very technical. It might be boring to undergraduate.

Finally I've decided to basically stretch out my whole intro into a 45 minute talk. This way it is educational, but the faculty in the audience can get an idea of what my research interests are. I hope that is OK.

I don't know. I am 3/4 of the way done. We will see.

However, let me just say that the one thing I am sure of is that I need a new chair. This one is not very comfortable. Maybe I'll get a new job and that job will provide with an office- and a chair. One can hope...

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Truly I think that they will be looking not just for content but for how you interact with people and how you instruct/ present.
At least that's what we look for when we do observation lessons for candidates. The curriculum or the research you can learn.... but the way you teach and talk, either you got it or you don't.
Although, what in the world do I really know about undergraduates.... I do teach third grade after all! :)

Tina said...

Lisa; Don't underestimate yourself, that is definitely part of it...
Hopefully I've got it!

~profgrrrrl~ said...

This may sound ridiculous, but if you get an offer you can negotiate for a good chair as part of that offer. My first t-t job landed me in an office with totally inadequate furniture and no chair. I had to buy my own stuff for in there. The next time I negotiated a chair, but neglected to worry about the desk. I should have. So, check these things out, make sure standard issue stuff isn't bad.

Good luck!

Julie R said...

Hope your interview went well.