Re-evaluate.

I just read through the evaluations from my first class- ever, and I have to say, they weren't so bad. Not great, not bad. For the most part, they were uninspiring. Then there were a few that I have to remind myself... the only people who actually write something usually have strong opinions, negative or positive. Of course, they weren't all negative...

for example:

Worst thing about the course:
The teacher!
(Ouch! That's harsh!)

Best thing about the course:
The teacher!

What did you like least about the instructor’s teaching?
There was no direction during the lab. We came in and just read through the lab manual and did the lab to the best of our ability.

What did you like most about the instructor’s teaching?
She did the labs with us if we had any trouble.

What did you like least about the instructor’s teaching?
She assigns a lot of homework and she teaches very little.

What did you like most about the instructor’s teaching?
Easy grading. Gave good feedback on assignments she gave back.

What did you like least about the instructor’s teaching?
She doesn't answer our questions.

What did you like most about the instructor’s teaching?
Very helpful and always there to answer questions.

Are you catching the drift, here? These evaluations are not very helpful. Also, it was a small enough class that I can almost figure out who said what. The comments about how I didn't explain the assignments probably came from the student who was extremely smart but lost major points because he never followed directions. The comment about how "everything was unclear and there was no direction and most of the time I didn't know what the assignments were or where to get them or how to do them or when they were due..." which was one long run on sentence was probably from the student who lost points because she wrote her formal lab report as one long run on paragraph which didn't have any punctuation and who would look at me with a blank vacant look whenever I tried to explain things to her. In my mind I can visualize her saying those things.

It is also interesting that I set aside class time for the students to fill out the evaluations; there were 14 kids in class that day... but only 12 evaluations were submitted. So... what happened to the other two?

And finally, there was only one 'additional comment':
She is a very nice person but very unclear with a lot of things that she wanted us to do for her lab. Sometimes she seemed like she didnt know what she was doing.

And that... I can't argue. See all my previous posts about the missing equipment; the labs that I was informed at the start of class would be delayed because reagents hadn't arrived yet... ;
discrepencies between the lab manual and the actual lab; and of course, my own idiocy when I couldn't seem to follow my own notes.

And yet, I've signed on to do it again. Two classes in the fall, and two in the spring. The coordinator promised me that next time it will be much better.
Damn tootin straight. No matter what the students say, I've learned a lot this year.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Damn tootin straight"!