Fresh is right.

I don't mean that in the good way.

These freshmen...

How many times can I sign my emails and communications as "Dr."? And yet I get the emails addressed to "Tina", "Mrs." and even once... "Hey". That last one was a real pleasure, seeing as it was actually forwarded to my supervisor (or whatever I'm supposed to call him). He saw his email before I saw mine, and he memo'd the entire department about not accepting that kind of attitude. So I got his memo, because it showed up first in my inbox (most recent emails first). Then I got the email from the student, and realized the memo was about me and my student. That was a good night, let me tell you. So then I emailed my supervisor and said... that was mine, wasn't it? And since we were in our respective houses emailing at the same time, he promptly replied "Yup." Plus a few other choice words about the student. I apologized, diffused the issue that was the reason for the email in the first place, namely my not responding promptly enough to the students query (by prompt I mean within two hours of him sending the email), and then we both went off to enjoy a glass of wine.

However, one does not want ones supervisor thinking that ones students are walking all over one, even if they aren't (up until that minute).

So I responded to the email- the original email, not the second rude one. Next class, the student was extremely polite, and generously 'volunteered' to help with a few extra lab duties. Lucky him.

Then when I had to file early warnings, I almost selected "No Resp for Instructor", which I took to mean that the student doesn't show any respect for the instructor. Then I realized it was "No Resp From Instructor" which I thinks means that there is no response from the instructor. Which is weird that it is even a choice, because the act of choosing that is itself a response, isn't it? Anyway. They should make Lack of respect an option.

2 comments:

Candid Engineer said...

That would be hard to deal with. I'd be inclined to talk to the class about how to write an appropriate professional email. It will serve them good not only in your class, but also when dealing with anyone else of importance.

Lisa said...

I kind of agree with candid engineer on that one....astonishing that they don't know that though!
It's great when you have to try and get respect from parents who seem to think it is your job to babysit their kid.