When "they" don't get it.

I have been reading the backposts of one of my new favorite science blogs. (I worship Isis and long to be as witty and hot as she). However, this particular post made me remember an incident that occurred not long ago...

(fade to flashback)


We had just had a long lab meeting that somehow ended with my PI offering career advice to a post-bac. student who was contemplating applying to grad school. Because this career session started as a lab meeting, I, the graduate students, and the new med student who had joined our lab for the year, were all stuck listening. Having been through it myself, I occasionally piped in with a word or two of advice or witty commentary, as the topics ranged from the application process, picking a lab, passing qualifying exams, and post-PhD career options- and whether it was worth getting a PhD at all.

As we finally escaped to lab to begin our actual work for the day, the med student wandered over with a dazed look on his face. "Wow!" he exclaimed, "I never realized how complicated things were for you guys!"

Now, I wasn't yet sure if I liked this particular med student or not; he had a tendency to complain about how as an MD, he'd have to work so hard but wouldn't really make much money for many years to come. And I, in my search for career fulfillment as a late-stage post-doctoral PhD research scientist, didn't particularly feel any sympathy for him. However, I thought, maybe he is beginning to appreciate the work that PhD's do and the challenges that we face...

but no. The next words out of his mouth sealed my opinion of him- for the worse- forever...

"But at least- if worse came to worse- you guys could moonlight as technicians."

* * * * *


It was only later, as I was recounting the story to Husband, that I came up with a perfect comeback...

"Sure! And if you get tired of the grind, you can always moonlight as a medical assistant!"

* * * * *

*With all due respect to technicians- who do work hard, I know, having been employed as one for several years between undergrad and graduate school. I just think at this point- as I pointed out to my favorite med student- I am somewhat overqualified.

1 comments:

Kim Tracy Prince said...

You are the queen of the too-late comeback. But that one? Oooh, snap.