DEATH!

That was the eye catching and unsubtle title of the email I received from the lab coordinator this morning.

Apparently, since I left the worms and crabs out after lab yesterday, some of them died. Two crabs committed suicide, jumping out of the bowl and landing on the floor and drying out. The worms I suspect were murdered involuntarily by the squeamish manipulations of my students- but I am taking the blame for that as well. Supposedly I was instructed to change the water and then move them. I did remember to change the water; I completely forgot about the need to move them. I almost volunteered to go to the shoreline and collect some new ones myself, but then I decided against it, after hearing about this episode… if collecting bloodworms qualifies for "Dirty Jobs" then it is not something I want to do. They said that they have enough for today and can get more for tomorrow.

But I do feel really bad.

Poor crabs.

3 comments:

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Don't feel too bad, it's just natural selection in action ;)

Tina said...

Thanks, Cath, just so long as it isn't me being selected out of a job...

Lisa said...

Seriously??! Welcome to the world of ridiculous things that you must do in the course of your teaching career.....